Smoky Double-Duck BLT Stack
2013 Recipe Contest Grand Prize Winner, Sandi Sheppard, Norman, OK
This playful take on BLT flavors features both ground duck and duck bacon in fennel and basil seasoned duck meatloaf stacks, topped with fresh avocado slices and a basil/balsamic tomato-bacon salsa.
Serving Size: 4 servings
4 slices Maple Leaf Farms Duck Bacon, divided
10 oz Red Grape Tomatoes, sliced in half lengthwise
2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tbsp White Balsamic Vinegar
1/4 cup chopped Fresh Basil
1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
1/2 tsp Ground White Pepper
1/3 cup diced Sweet Yellow Onion
2 large Garlic Cloves, diced
1/4 cup White Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 Lime, juiced
2 tsp Liquid Smoke
1 lb Maple Leaf Farms Ground Duck
1/3 cup Tomato Paste
1 fresh ear of Sweet Corn, kernels cut off of cob
1 tsp Italian Herb Seasoning
1/2 tsp Ground Fennel Seed
2 tsp Dried Basil
1 tsp Kosher Salt
1/2 tsp Marjoram
4 oz Cream Cheese, cubed
4 leaves Green Leaf Lettuce
1 Avocado, pitted, peeled, halves sliced crosswise
1 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Spray the inside of four food ring molds or ramekins (3-1/2" diameter) with nonstick cooking spray and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet with rimmed sides.
3. In a heavy skillet on medium, fry the bacon 5-6 minutes. Cool and dice.
4. To make the salsa topper, mix sliced tomatoes, olive oil, vinegar, basil, salt and white pepper (all salsa ingredients), plus half of the diced bacon into a gallon resealable bag. Seal, forcing the air out, then shake and chill.
5. To make the duck loaf, add the onion, garlic, vinegar, lime juice and liquid smoke to the heavy skillet, turn to low and sauté for 3-4 minutes and add to the mixing bowl. Add the rest of the duck loaf ingredients and the remaining half of duck bacon to the bowl and mix well.
6. Fill the ring molds (or ramekins) with equal portions of the meat mixture, taking care not to compact the meat. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Cool 10 minutes, then remove ring molds.
7. To serve, place a lettuce leaf on each of four plates, then a duck loaf. Top each with slices of avocado and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. Drain the salsa topper and top each with equal portions and serve.
2013 Duck Recipe Contest